This is one of ‘those’ things that I haven’t done in a long while, and perhaps neither have you. The questions were sent my way ages and ages ago and I’ve finally gotten around to responding. Some are a bit fatuous, others can provoke a slight modicum of thought. Please feel free to join in the party and post your own answers to the following.
1. Does anyone know your passwords beside yourself? I suspect Wendy does, though she’d never say. That’s OK, I have nothing to hide. I crossed my fingers when I wrote that. Oh, and probably half a million hackers and other Internet vermin.
2. What was the last thing you ordered at McDonalds? I can’t recall. I rarely go to fast-food joints. Let’s say a sausage McMuffin, OK?.
3. Are you an emotional person? Far too emotional for my liking, though I rarely show it.
4. Do you like your middle name? Not much, since it’s the same as my father’s first name. On the other hand, it is the same as the last name of the character Mel Gibson portrayed in Braveheart – “Scots wha hae, etc. …” I didn’t mind that until Gibson showed the world what a Jewbaiting creep he was last year.
5. Do you believe in love at first sight? Yes I do. That hasn’t always been a good thing as experience has shown. Actually, I can fall in love more rapidly than the dropping of that proverbial hat..
6. Does the person you like, know that you like them? Puleeze, I’m married and I’ll say no more than that. What are we with this question — 15?
7. What was the last thing you did? Went to visit a dear friend to give her a birthday card..
8. Wherefore art thou, number 8? Eight to the bar. An old swing term. I don’t really know what it means but you can hear it expressed in the Andrews Sisters’ Boogie-Woogie-Bugleboy.
9. Who was the last person you ate with? Wendy..
10. What song are you listening to right now? Absolutely nothing other than the earworm playing in my head. Though I do like music and always have it on in the car..
11. How’s the weather right now? Slightly overcast and too chilly for my liking..
12. Last person who called you? Some telemarketing turd.
13. Last lie you told? I rarely lie. Though I will make an effort to preserve somebody’s feelings. “Does this sweater accentuate my bust too much?” “Oh, good God no.
14. Last song you sang? I don’t remember. This morning’s shower was too long ago.
15. Do you love anyone? Of course I do. My wife, a few friends (male and female), my brothers, and a couple of secret inamoratas who shall go nameless. Hey, I am a very loving person.
16. Lost a friendship over something stupid? A couple of marriages, but never a friendship that I can recall. I may be wrong.
17. Last thing you drank? A cup of good strong dark coffee.
18. Last thing you ate? A bowl of oatmeal at brekkie.
19. Where do you wish you were? Somewhere warmer; Kauai, a French sidewalk café, Palm Springs, San Diego, looking out over the Norfolk Broads, having lunch with my cousin Angie in a nice café in lovely Bath. Otherwise here will do.
20. Faked being sick to miss school? Rarely. My old ma had a keen bullshit detector. Later faked flu when I was hungover. Glad those days are gone.
21. What time did you wake up today? Far too early. Before the little hand was on 5.
22. Last person you talked to in person? Lise, a dear friend to whom I gave that aforementioned card..
23. Last person who made you laugh? Probably Lise. We get along well..
24. What are you wearing right now? A sweatshirt and age jeans from Walmart.
25. What’s the first thing you notice about the opposite sex? You thought I was going to say either boobs or bum, didn’t you? I’m not saying I don’t notice those things, but in a physical realm, I am very much a ‘face’ man. If I like her face (and it needn’t be beautiful) then the rest fades into insignificance. But, what really sustains me are intelligence and sense of humor.
26. When I was 26 I had been teaching high school English and history for two years.
27. Where are you right now? At home, at my computer, obviously, or I wouldn’t be writing this.
28. What day and date is it? Thursday, November 12th 2011, if you are going by the western calendar. I used to follow the Aztec one but I found those big stone wheels difficult to attach to the kitchen wall. Anyway, I’m not to crazy about the world ending next year and all..
29. Did you go anywhere today? Out for coffee and out to give Lise her card.
30. What did you do there? What I said. Also stood in a park and watched Max and Lise’s little dog run each other ragged..
31. What else are you doing today? Finishing this; doing a little painting, walking Max. God that’s boring, I suppose.
32. Are you watching TV? Hardly.
33. Are you mature or immature? I like to think I’m mature. At times I am. At other times I can revert, and not always in a positive and fun-filled way. Other people seem to think I’m mature. More fool them.
34. Who are you closer to, your mum or your dad? Neither, since they’re both dead. However, I think I miss my dad more. Not a whole lot, but just a bit more. I haven’t spared many moments missing my mom. Kinda sad, but sometimes life’s like that.
35. When I was 35 I became a newspaper reporter. Didn’t love every moment of it, but I loved it enough that I was prepared (grudgingly) to accept the shitty rate of pay.
36. What school(s) did you go to? Douglas Road elementary, Kensington Jr. High, Burnaby Central High, Burnaby South High, University of BC.
37. What’s the most annoying thing people say to you? So, keeping out of trouble? I hate that, so I usually respond with, “I would be but your wife keeps calling me.” No, I don’t really, but I’d like to. Also, “Working hard or hardly working? Yuk-yuk.” Piss off.
38. Do you like music? Love it. All genres but rap and 99% of C&W. I make exceptions for Hank Williams and Patsy Cline. I haven’t kept very current since most ‘musical’ offerings today are atrocious. I make an exception for the wonderful Adele, about whom the hugely talented Jann Arden said “Thank you Jesus for Adele.” I also made an exception for the talented and tortured late Amy Winehouse.
39. Do you want to get married? Been there. Done that..
40. When I was 40 my ex-wife thought it would be a wonderful idea if she bought me a bicycle as a gift. It wasn’t a wonderful idea.
41. Where did you go on vacation last summer? To da Big Island of Hawaii. It was heavenly.
42. Would you bungee jump? Of course not. Nor do I skydive. I like keeping my undies clean.
43. Do you like rollercoasters? Only been on once, when I was 16. Glad I did it. Never have had any desire whatsoever to repeat the experience. But, I do like the ‘idea’ of rollercoasters. I don’t know why.
44. Is there anything you wish for every summer? Vacation and sunny benevolent weather.
45. Do you use chopsticks? Quite adeptly, thank you. I hate people who go to Asian restaurants and ask for a fork. That’s on a par with people who go to Olive Garden thinking they’re in an Italian trattoria.
46. What’s your favorite meal of the day? Breakfast. I could eat breakfast at all three meals.
47. Thinking of someone right now? Just you, dear reader, if there is one and thinking of you wondering how I posted this piece of shit. I’m asking myself that same question.
48. Concerned about life right now? Always. Too much..
49. Have you ever tripped going up the stairs? Hasn’t everyone? Worse for me is going downstairs and anticipating a further step that doesn’t exist.
50. What are you looking forward to this winter? For it to be over.
NOTE: Once I got this blog in place I asked myself why I’d bothered. Oh well. Maybe a mark of maturity lies in recognizing an exercise that was mainly a time-waste. On the other hand, my painting went quite well today, so not all was lost. And now I know why I didn’t post it when it first came in my possession.